Spiked Cinnamon Hot Chocolate Recipe
By Jessica Lucius @luxeandthelady
There’s nothing better than curling up under a blanket with a warm drink on a chilly winter day (especially if that drink is full of chocolate)! This Spiked Cinnamon Hot Chocolate is made with both cocoa powder and melted chocolate chips for a rich and velvety smooth sip. I couldn’t resist adding my favorite spice (cinnamon) both in the recipe and the boozy boost for an extra dash of coziness. Topped with lots of whipped cream, marshmallows, and even more chocolate, this drink doubles as a quick dessert. Whether you prefer your hot cocoa spiked, extra sweet or even dairy-free, this recipe is easy to customize, and equally delicious without the alcohol.
Keep your cocoa nice and toasty in Arctic Zone’s beautiful, insulated mugs. These Titan by Arctic Zone™ Stainless Steel Mugs are BPA free, condensation free, and feature a triple layer interior to keep your beverages hot or cold for hours. The lid is infused with Microban® to help protect against stains and bacteria so clean-up’s a breeze!
Yields 2 servings
- 2 ½ cups whole or nondairy milk (I like to use coconut)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (4oz.) Rum Chata (or Bailey’s Irish Cream)
- Whipped cream
- Cinnamon sticks/cinnamon powder
- Chocolate chips/curls
If you prefer a richer, less sweet hot chocolate switch the chocolate chips to bittersweet. If you prefer a sweeter hot chocolate add 1 tablespoon sugar per serving.
- Combine the milk, cocoa powder, and cinnamon in a medium size saucepan.
- Simmer on medium-low heat, stirring often until the cocoa powder is fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla and chocolate chips. Continue to stir until the chips are completely melted.
- Transfer the cocoa mixture to a high-speed blender and add the alcohol of your choice. Blend until smooth.
- Divide the hot chocolate between 2 Titan by Arctic Zone™ Stainless Steel Mugs. Top with whipped cream, cinnamon, chocolate, and lots of marshmallows. Enjoy!
Leftover hot chocolate can be covered and refrigerated. Reheat before serving (you can use the same method as step 2 above).